Oct 04, 2023  
2020-21 Catalog 
2020-21 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]




Manchester Community College has an ‘open door’ admissions policy for graduates of approved accredited high schools or those individuals that possess a high school equivalency diploma.

Admission to the college does not necessarily mean admission to all courses or programs.

Degree or Certificate Students (Matriculation)

Students applying for a degree or certificate program must complete the Admissions Application, submit official transcripts or diploma from an approved high school/college or an official copy of a high school equivalency diploma, and submit proof of measles/rubella, mumps and varicella immunizations.

Requirements for Admissions

An applicant must be a graduate of an approved high school, possess a high school equivalency diploma (via the GED program) or be a college graduate. Students are required to be in-state legal residents for a period of one full year prior to the date of the first class of the semester to receive benefits of the in-state tuition rate. Proof of residency may be required by the Admissions office.

Students are admitted to the college for courses that begin in the fall semester (August) and in the spring semester (January). Persons wishing to study at MCC are urged to apply for admissions as early as possible before the semester in which they expect to begin. New and transfer students are encouraged to apply for new student advising and registration prior to mid-June for the fall semester and prior to mid-December for the spring semester. New students that apply after these dates can still register during walk-in registration, however, there is no guarantee that the courses students would like to register for will be available at that time.

Health Career Applications


Students interested in pursuing a health career degree or certificate are required to complete a separate Health Career Application in addition to the Admissions Application. There is no charge for the Health Career Application. Health Career Applications are available in the Admissions office, the Health Careers office (LRC A237) or on the college website. Applications for the Dental Assistant, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiation Therapy, Radiography, Respiratory Care, and Surgical Technology programs are accepted year-round. Please consult the MCC website or Health Careers office for specific deadlines. Completed applications should be returned to the Health Careers office, LRC A237.  No additional application is required for the Therapeutic Recreation and Health and Exercise Science programs.

Online Program Applications

Students interested in applying for an online degree program should contact the Education Technology and Distance Learning department at: MA-Sandbox@manchestercc.edu to determine if online learning is a good choice for them.  The next step is to speak with an advisor regarding the steps to sucessfully completing their online degree.  Students will then complete an application to MCC and receive instructions about applying for financial aid and other information.  Please note that some requirements will need to be fulfilled on campus, such as the assessment test and applicable lab courses.

International Affairs


The Office of International Affairs assists international students meet their academic, social and cultural needs while attending Manchester Community College. Also, the office assists international students in meeting their academic and socio-economic goals and objectives with a variety of opportunities that the college has to offer. The office provides information, programs, activities and services to increase international awareness for the community at-large. International students speaking over 50 languages representing over 70 countries have attended MCC and many students transfer to baccalaureate institutions to further their academic and career goals. All I-20 documents must be submitted to the International Student Affairs office by June 30 for the Fall semester and November 15 for the Spring semester. International students interested in attending MCC with an F-1 visa should contact the Director of International Affairs for further information to ensure that their I-20 application is processed in a timely manner for appropriate service or U.S. State Department approval. Official international academic credentials, such as high school and college transcripts, must be in English. These documents may be translated and evaluated by the World Education Services, Inc. (www.wes.org) or an accredited evaluation center, before they are submitted for international student admissions. International application packets are available in the Office of International Affairs or the Admissions office. International students on a visa other than F-1 may enroll for classes at MCC, but they should consult with the office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (www.uscis.gov) or the Director of International Affairs to verify student eligibility and enrollment status.

Home-Schooled Students

Applicants to Manchester Community College who have completed home schooling must meet the same requirements as any other applicant; these include, but are not necessarily limited to, completing an application and submitting proof of measles/rubella, mumps and varicella immunizations. In addition, the applicant must submit either a federal or state equivalency diploma or a summary of the secondary program of study they pursued, and a certificate of successful completion thereof, signed by the parent or other provider of the home schooling.

Applicants who have attended a secondary school must also submit a copy of that transcript, whether or not they may have graduated from there.

Applicants who are in the process of home schooling, but who have not as yet completed the equivalent of a high school education, should contact the Admissions office at 860-512-3210. Maximum credits are limited to 8 credits per semester.

Non-Degree Students

Students who are interested in enrolling in individual credit courses, but who are not interested in pursuing a degree or certificate program, may elect to enroll as non-degree, non-matriculating students. Students applying as non-degree students may complete the Admissions Application.

Non-degree students are not eligible to receive financial aid or veterans benefits.

Financial Aid and Deferment of Tuition: Tuition may be deferred at the time of registration only for students who have completed the financial aid process and have been determined eligible for it. All the necessary documents must be on file in the Financial Aid office by May 15 for the fall semester and October 1 for the spring semester (refer to the Financial Aid  section)

Transcript Evaluation

Students wishing to transfer course work completed at another college or university, or by CLEP (College Level Examination Program) or other standardized examination, must request that an official transcript of previous college work be sent to the Admissions office. Evaluation of transcripts and awarding transfer credit will be done on a rolling basis. For further information, see Transfer Policies  , Course Credit for Prior Learning  , and College Level Examination Program .

It is recommended that students planning to enroll in a college transfer program of study meet with a transfer counselor (Counseling Center, L108). It is especially important for students to be informed fully about the requirements of the transfer college or university because of differences in program requirements among institutions.

Assessment Tests

English and mathematics assessment tests are required for all degree and certificate candidates after they have been accepted for admission. Tests must be taken prior to registration. Transfer students having college level mathematics and English credits may be exempted from taking tests in those subjects. Students with SAT verbal/critical reading or writing score of 450 or more, and/or mathematics score of 500 or more are exempt from the assessment test. Proper verification is required. For partial testing, the approved exemption form must be presented to the test administrator before testing. The results of the assessment test will be used to determine the individual’s level of achievement in mathematics and/or English and will determine appropriate class placement. Retesting is not allowed for students who have entered the writing sequence. For more information about assessment testing, call 860-512-3304 or visit the college website at www.manchestercc.edu. The Assessment Testing Exception form is available on the college website from the Assessment webpage (https://www.manchestercc.edu/wp-content/uploads/Assessment-Testing-Exemption-Request-for-printing.pdf) or in the Admissions office.

Business Careers Students: Placement examinations for beginning short-hand or keyboarding will be administered upon request to students who have successfully completed one or more years of shorthand or keyboarding in high school, or who have demonstrated considerable skills in these areas. Students who pass these placement examinations need not take introductory courses. For further information, speak with the Director of the Business, Engineering and Technology Division and the Director of the Social Science and Hospitality Division.

Health Careers Students: Students accepted into Health Careers programs are required to meet with the specific program coordinator to obtain test results and plan course selection.

Online Program Students:  Students interested in applying to be admintted to an online degree program are required to complete a student profile and a self-assessment to determine their aptitude for online learning, and to speak with an advisor. 

Advanced Placement Program

Advanced placement may be granted to entering students on the basis of scores on the College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement Examinations. Scores of 3, 4 or 5 are granted degree credit for equivalent courses as determined by the academic divisions. All paperwork should be submitted to the Admissions office.

College Board AP Examination Transfer Guidelines

AP Exam Score Course Equivalents
Credits Granted

Art History 4, 5 ART* 101  and ART* 102   6

Biology 4, 5 BIO* 121  and BIO* 122   8

Chemistry 4, 5 CHE* 121  and CHE* 122   8

Computer Science 4, 5 CSC* 226 3

Macroeconomics 3, 4, 5 ECN* 101   3
Microeconomics 3, 4, 5 ECN* 102   3

English Language or
English Literature

4, 5 ENG* 101   3

Environmental Science 4, 5 EVS* 100   3

French Language 3, 4, 5 FRE* 111   3

Geography 4, 5 GEO* 101   3

Comparative Government & Politics 3, 4, 5

POL* 101 
POL* 111  


U.S. Government & Politics 3, 4, 5 POL* 111   3

American History 3, 4, 5 HIS* 201   3

European History 3, 4, 5 HIS* 101   3

World History 3, 4, 5 HIS* 121   3

Mathematics BC 4, 5 MAT* 254  and MAT* 256   8

Music 3, 4, 5 MUS* 101  and MUS* 102   6

Physics B
Physics C Elec & Magnet
Physics C Mechanics
4, 5
4, 5
4, 5
PHY* 121  and PHY* 122 
PHY* 222 
 PHY* 221  

Psychology 3, 4, 5 PSY* 111  and PSY* 112   6

Spanish Language 3, 4, 5 SPA* 111   4

Statistics 4, 5 MAT* 165   4


MCC International Baccalaureate Academy Courses

Manchester Community College recognizes the IB Diploma Program and will consider for course credit and advanced placement any higher level IB subject in which a grade of 5 or higher has been earned. Credit is awarded at the discretion of individual departments through the Admissions office.


Students who have been accepted and enrolled in a degree or certificate program of study at MCC should submit a re-admission form if progress towards completion of their program has been interrupted by an absence from the college of more than two years. Students will be required to follow the requirements of the catalog effective at their readmission. (Please note: students applying for re-enrollment into Health Careers programs will be placed in the General Studies Health Careers pool pending reapplication and acceptance to the specific Health Careers program.) It is not necessary to submit a new set of credentials with the re-enrollment form. However, students who attend another college during an absence from MCC must submit an official transcript of those studies to the Admissions office in order to receive credit at MCC.

Cross-Registration Privilege

A cross-registration privilege exists for students who register for General Fund courses at multiple colleges within the state system of higher education. A student who has proof of payment for the maximum full-time tuition at their “home” institution is exempt from further charges at a state university, the University of Connecticut or another community college. A student who has paid the tuition and fees of a part-time student at their “home” institution and registers for additional courses at another college shall not exceed the amount charged for a full-time student, if the student’s combined registration at both institutions would classify them as a full-time student. If you are a financial aid recipient and you are attending another higher education institution at the same time, please see the Financial Aid office. This exchange privilege is offered on a space-available basis only. Connecticut community college students can register any time during in-person registration. All students interested in this special cross-registration plan should contact the Registrar’s office.

Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella (Chicken Pox) Immunizations

Students born after December 31, 1956: Connecticut State Law requires that all incoming full-time (degree seeking and non-degree/non-matriculating) and part-time matriculating students enrolled in postsecondary schools be adequately protected against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella.  The first dose must be given on or after the first birthday and the second at least one month later to insure adequate immunization. Health Careers students may be required to have additional immunizations. Further information is available in the Registrar’s office.

New England Regional Student Program

Manchester Community College is a member of the New England Regional Student Program. The program provides an opportunity for students to earn an undergraduate degree in certain programs not offered at a college near their home or in their home state. Under this program, an out-of-state student will be charged the regular resident tuition plus a 50% surcharge. Ask the Admissions office for further information about this program.

High School Partnership Program

The High School Partnership Program provides the opportunity for a high school junior or senior to enroll in college-level courses (eight credit maximum) at no cost. Students must have a strong academic background; at least a “B” average; meet the course pre-requisites and have a written recommendation from their guidance counselor to participate in the program. The high school must have a signed partnership contract on file with the College. Students are responsible for their books and transportation. The purpose of the program is to give students who are capable of college-level work the opportunity to take courses which are of interest to them. Priority registration is given to students enrolling in STEM courses - science, technology, engineering and mathematics, to broaden the students’ educational experience and career opportunities while responding to the demands of Connecticut’s high-skill growth industries for an educated workforce with solid grounding in these disciplines. Students interested in registering for any other college-level course are allowed to register on the day before classes begin, on a space available basis only. Students must submit a High School Partnership application, which is available through the participating high school guidance office or in the MCC Admissions office. Registration is conducted in-person only; online applications or registrations are not acceptable. Maximum credits are limited to 8 credits per semester.

College Career Pathways Program

The College Career Pathways program is a combined secondary and post-secondary educational program that allows students in high school to obtain advanced standing by earning college credits in certain business, occupational and technology courses at MCC. This is a formal articulation program between MCC and a consortium of area high schools. High school students must follow guidelines for admission to the College Career Pathways program as established by their high school and MCC. Students will take the College Career Pathways courses at their high schools in the10th, 11th and 12th grades. Upon successfully completing the high school portion of the program and graduating from high school, the student can complete the program at MCC.

The student must meet the same college level standards that are expected of students attending MCC. Please contact the Admissions office or a high school guidance counselor for application information.

Veterans Services

Veterans are certified by the staff in the Veterans O.A.S.I.S. in the Lowe Student Services Center, L-101 and Career Services & Veterans Services office in the Lowe Student Services Center, L-120.  A School Certifying Official (SCO) will assist eligible veterans each semester with the required processes and procedures for receiving monthly benefits, tuition waivers, and other educational benefits.Students must meet with a counselor to verify course work each semester.

All veterans seeking monthly benefits must be matriculated into a degree or certificate program. Only courses that are directly applicable to their degree program will count towards eligibility for monthly benefits. Veterans that are transfer students must request an official transcript to be sent to the Admissions office for evaluation of prior credit.

The college may award credit for certain courses completed during military service including Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) proficiency. Veterans may submit course completion documents, other appropriate evidence of military training, and qualifications to the Admissions office for evaluation. Veterans are reminded that credit can also be earned through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Information about CLEP exams can be obtained from the Admissions office or at the College Board website at www.collegeboard.com.

Veterans who are eligible to receive educational benefits must complete the VONAPP located on the https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/ website, and submit their DD 214 to the SCO. If a member of the CT National Guard, the student must request through his/her Unit Education Officer a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) prior to the start of classes in order to receive benefits.

In addition, veterans are eligible for a full tuition waiver for General Fund courses if they were:

  1. Honorably discharged or released under honorable conditions from active service;
  2. On active duty for at least 90 days during specific periods of conflict.

Tuition waivers cover only the cost of tuition for General Fund credit-bearing courses. They do not cover expenses associated with books, supplies, or student fees. In addition, they do not cover Extension Fund courses such as College by Design classes, winter intersession classes, or summer classes.

Students withdrawing from courses are required to notify the School Certifying Official as soon as possible. This will allow for the SCO to promptly notify the VA and avoid overpayment of benefits to the student.  Veterans are responsible for satisfactory pursuit of the courses in which they register and for notifying Veterans Services of any change in status.  For more information, please call 860-512-3362.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regulations require that all students receiving VA educational benefits meet the College’s satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standard and the College’s academic standing policy as stated in the college catalog. Students failing to make SAP will have their VA educational benefits discontinued in accordance with the Academic Policies  section of this catalog. Students who are suspended for failing to meet the college’s academic standing policy will be reported to the VA. Students may appeal their academic suspension in accordance with the policy Academic Policies  section of this catalog. Should the appeal be successful, the student’s enrollment will be reported retroactively to VA for the enrollment period to which the appeal applies.



(a) IN GENERAL.-Section 3679 of title 38, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

“(e) (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, beginning on August 1, 2019, a State approving agency, or the Secretary when acting in the role of the State approving agency, shall disapprove a course of education provided by an educational institution that has in effect a policy that is inconsistent with any of the following:

“(A) A policy that permits any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 of this title and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

“(i) The date on which the Secretary provides payment for such course of education to such institution.

“(ii) The date that is 90 days after the date on which the educational institution certifies for tuition and fees following receipt from the student such certificate of eligibility.

“(B) A policy that ensures that the educational institution will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of a payment to be provided by the Secretary under chapter 31 or 33 of this title.

“(2) For purposes of this subsection, a covered individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 of this title.

“(3) The Secretary may waive such requirements of paragraph (1) as the Secretary considers appropriate.

“(4) It shall not be inconsistent with a policy described in paragraph (1) for an educational institution to require a covered individual to take the following additional actions:

“(A) Submit a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance not later than the first day of a course of education for which the individual has indicated the individual wishes to use the individual’s entitlement to educational assistance.

“(B) Submit a written request to use such entitlement.

“(C) Provide additional information necessary to the proper certification of enrollment by the educational institution.”.


(1) IN GENERAL.-The Secretary of Veterans Affairs shall take such actions as may be necessary to ensure that the Secretary makes a payment to an educational institution on behalf of an individual, who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 of title 38, United States Code, and who is using such assistance to pursue a program of education at the educational institution, not later than 60 days after the date on which the educational institution certifies to the Secretary the applicable tuition and fees for the individual.

(2) SEMIANNUAL REPORTS.-Not later than May 1 and October 1 of each year, the Secretary shall submit to the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs of the Senate and the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs of the House of Representatives a semiannual report summarizing any cases in which the Secretary failed to make a payment described in paragraph (1) within the period set forth in such paragraph and an explanation for each delayed disbursement of payment.

(c) RULE OF CONSTRUCTION.-In a case in which an individual is unable to meet a financial obligation to an educational institution due to the delayed disbursement of a payment to be provided by the Secretary under chapter 31 or 33 of such title and the amount of such disbursement is less than anticipated, nothing in section 3679(e) of such title, as added by subsection (a), shall be construed to prohibit an educational institution from requiring additional payment or imposing a fee for the amount that is the difference between the amount of the financial obligation and the amount of the disbursement.

Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits (Chapter 31)

Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits (Chapter 31) are available for veterans who have a service-related disability of 20 percent or more. Students can ascertain their eligibility for vocational rehabilitation benefits by calling the VA office in Newington at 1-800-827-1000. Chapter 31 benefits provide eligible students with a monthly stipend and all costs for tuition.  Books and supplies are also covered by the VA.

Post 9/11 G.I. Bill Benefits (Chapter 33)

The Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Act of 2008 program, Chapter 33, provides up to 36 months of educational services. Based on the length of active duty service, veterans may be entitled to a percentage of tuition and fees, a monthly housing allowance and a yearly book stipend. For more information, please call 860-512-3362.

Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

Dependents Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. If you are interested in these benefits, please contact the Veterans Services office at 860-512-3362. 

MCC Graduate Transfers

Manchester Community College students are able to transfer to many colleges and universities. Because requirements of baccalaureate institutions vary greatly, students should select a transfer institution early and consult with a counselor or program coordinator as to the transferability of their course selections.

Some of the colleges and universities that have accepted MCC credits include the following:

American International College Roger Williams College
Amherst College Sacred Heart University
Antioch College Saint Joseph College
Art Institute of Boston Saint Leo College
Assumption College Smith College
Babson College Southern Connecticut State University
Bentley College Springfield College
Boston University State University of New York
Bryant College Syracuse University
California Polytechnic State University Thomas Edison College
Central Connecticut State University Trinity College
Charter Oak State College University of Arizona
Columbia University University of Bridgeport
Connecticut College University of Chicago
Cornell University University of Colorado
Eastern Connecticut State University University of Connecticut
Emerson College University of Florida
Fairfield University University of Hartford
Fashion Institute of Technology University of Hawaii
Florida International University University of Houston
George Mason University University of Illinois
Goddard College University of Maine
Hampton University University of Massachusetts
Howard University University of Nevada
Johnson & Wales University University of New Hampshire
Lesley University University of New Haven
Marietta College University of North Carolina
Massachusetts College of Art University of Rhode Island
Molloy College University of Virginia
Mount Holyoke College Wesleyan University
New York University Western Connecticut State University
Northeastern University Western New England University
Oregon State University Westfield State University
Parsons School of Design West Virginia Wesleyan
Post University Williams College
Quinnipiac University Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Rhode Island School of Design Yale University

Great Path Academy

Great Path Academy is a middle college high school enrolling more than 275 students in grades 9-12, located within the campus of Manchester Community College. The school is an inter-district magnet school managed on behalf of the college by Hartford Public Schools, and its member towns include Bolton, Coventry, East Hartford, Glastonbury, Granby, Hartford, Manchester and Tolland. Students who live in other towns may apply through Parent Choice. All students are selected through a blind lottery.

The middle college high school theme provides students with an accelerated program through which they may enroll in up to eight credits per semester in direct college classes and through courses articulated with MCC through the Career Clusters program. Last year, the average student earned twenty-four college credits at no expense to the family. Over the past three years, 97% of students have graduated and enrolled in post-secondary education.

The high school building opened in 2009 and is connected to the Lowe Student Services Center. The building features eighteen classrooms, including three science labs, a language laboratory, culinary arts classroom, art room, graphic design studio and gymnasium. For more information call 860-512-3702.