Graduation is not automatic.
The Board of Regents, through Manchester Community College, is authorized by the Connecticut General Assembly to confer associate in art and associate in science degrees, and award certificates, to candidates who have met all requirements.
It is the student’s responsibility to follow through EARLY and to meet all requirements listed below. If you have any questions, meet with your program coordinator or a counselor.
- Follow the catalog in effect when you declared your major. If you change your major you will be required to follow the catalog for the year in which you have made the change.
- Students that have returned to the college after a two or more years of separation must follow the program requirements at the time of re-admission to the college.
- Notify the Registrar if you are completing requirements at another college.
- Submit official transcripts from other colleges to the Admissions office for transfer of credit. This must be completed by the application deadline to insure participation.
- Matriculate (enroll in credit-bearing courses applicable to the requirements of a degree or certificate program).
- Satisfactorily complete the total credits required in the degree or certificate program.
- Complete course requirements with a minimum GPA of 2.0 or better. (The college reserves the right not to recommend transfer students with a GPA lower than 2.5.)
- Satisfy all financial obligations (library, parking fines, etc.).
- Complete residency requirement for 25% of course work.
- File grades for all incompletes and approved course variances with the Registrar’s office.
Application for Graduation (Degrees and Certificates):
Each student who expects to graduate must submit an application for the degree or certificate earned, even if they do not plan on participating in commencement. The graduation application is available on the college website, or in the Registrar’s, Counseling, Career Services, Assistant to the Dean of Academic Affairs, and Assistant to the Dean of Student Affairs offices. Students who will complete all academic work by December 2013 must complete a graduation application for a degree and/or certificate by October 15, 2013. Students who will complete academic work by May 2014 must complete the application by March 15, 2014. Students who complete academic work by August 2014 must complete the application by July 1, 2014. Each student’s application will be reviewed and the student’s program of study will be checked and verified by the degree auditor. If a student did not meet their graduation requirements, their application will be carried over one semester. There will be only one Commencement ceremony, in the spring of each year. Regardless of graduation completion dates, all graduates are invited to attend Commencement.
Students who wish to earn a second degree from Manchester Community College will be required to complete a minimum of 15 credits beyond the number required for the initial degree, and fulfill all requirements of the second degree. A separate graduation application must be submitted for each additional degree. The Registrar’s office will notify students in writing of the results of the evaluation/audit. If a student is requesting more than a second degree or certificate, permission from the Dean of Academic Affairs is required.
Students who have applied by the deadline and are short four or fewer credits to graduate may request special permission to participate in the ceremony. However, the student’s name may not be printed in the program and their certificate/degree will not be ordered until the next cycle after all requirements have been met.